Monday, August 20, 2012

Exodus 19:4

 "You yourselves have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles’ wings, and brought you to Myself. "

I'm getting ready to fly.  I used to love to fly...it's faster than driving, your legs don't have to be cramped in a seat for 18 hours to get to Oregon from Las Vegas. There are even wonderful little snackies and a soda on the trip!  

Then, 911 happened.  I watched that plane fall from the sky into a field, and she who fears falling and heights began a journey with trepidation.  I get a lot of praying done on flights.  

There was the flight I prayed all the way to be at the side of my Aunt, who died in my arms hours later.  There was the first flight to Texas, to take Layne to see doctors at MD Anderson, in the hopes they would save his life.  There was the final flight home from MD Anderson, when we sobbed the entire way--and prayed for peace and strength to face the children.

I don't think it is any surprise that flight and wings have a lot of space in the Bible.  The Lord talks about lifting us up on wings as eagles to renew our strength.  In Exodus, he says he brought Israel to himself on eagles' wings.  I'm sure that the Israelites who had been in bondage and trudged through a desert for 40 years didn't feel like the trip was as easy as getting on Eagle's wings, but yet, He says he bore them!  

It's easy to forget when things are hard, that God is bearing us ...that He is moving us along to HIM.  He doesn't care if you become vice president of a company.  He cares that you move closer to HIM.  That's His end goal.  

While we are winging our way to the Lord, through all the deserts in our lives, he also protects us.  In Psalm 91, God offers protection under His wings.  So though He wants us to fly ...and be expedient in moving toward him, His wings are also protection for us.

This morning, when you got up for your flight...did you pray?  Spend some time with the Pilot today, and talk about His flight plan for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment